Greek Nacho French Fries
1 1/2 lbs frozen or freshly hand cut french fries (see note)
2 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese
Shredded Romaine lettuce
Chopped black olives
Mild pepper rings
Lemony Feta Sauce (recipe follows)
Hot sauce, for serving
- Preheat the oven to 400°. Spread the fries out on two large baking sheets and roast until browned and crisp, about 20 minutes, rotating the pans halfway through. Remove from the oven and pile all of the fries on one pan. Switch the oven to low broil. Spread the shredded cheese over all and put it back in the oven. Stay close and watch the pan, turning it as it browns evenly. When the cheese is evenly melted and browned in spots, remove from the oven. Starting with the lettuce, evenly spread the toppings on top of the cheese. Use a spoon to drizzle the feta sauce over all, top with the parsley, and serve with the hot sauce.
- Lemony Feta Sauce
- Makes about 1 cup
- cup extra virgin olive oil
- cup crumbled feta cheese
- cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Pinch salt and freshly ground pepper
- teaspoon fresh thyme leaves (optional)
- Combine all in a food processor and puree until smooth. Keeps well refrigerated, in a glass jar, for one week.
- Note: Frozen french fries are easy and very good in this recipe, but you can also make your own: slice 3-4 large russet potatoes into wedges and toss them lightly with olive oil and a pinch of salt. Roast at 400° for 40-45 minutes, turning once, until crispy and browned on both sides.